Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 10: Donation for CF

My RA from college has cystic fibrosis. Before meeting him, I really didn't know too much about the disease.  For those who don't know cystic fibrosis is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States (70,000 worldwide). A defective gene and its protein product cause the body to produce unusually thick, sticky mucus that clogs the lungs and leads to life-threatening lung infections.  The predicted median age of survival for a person with CF is in the late 30s.  I haven't spoken with my old RA for about 10 years, but I still remember he had such a good personality and an amazing outlook on life.  I did see through social media that he just became a father to twins and I was really happy to see that.  



On my way back from a business trip today I stopped at a gas station.  When I went in to pay they had these "hearts" on the counter to help raise awareness for CF and for people to make donations.  When I saw this, I immediately thought of my RA and decided to make a donation to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation for my kind act today.

No comments:

Post a Comment