Monday, February 18, 2013

Day 49: Mikayla's Grace



Yesterday I wrote about taking things for granted. Today, another thing I have taken for granted recently was brought to my attention. My daughter currently has an ear infection, pink eye, a bad cough and is teething. This has made for some pretty difficult nights recently. I have also caught myself thinking how unlucky we are with all that going on. Then I take a step back and put things in perspective. All the things Emma has going on right now is temporary and we are so lucky to have a very healthy baby overall.

My wife and her friend/coworker, Amanda, were pregnant at the same time and it was fun for them to go through the pregnancy stages together.  Then, a few months away from Amanda's due date complications came up. A year ago today my wife's friend lost her newborn due to the complications. I cannot imagine what this family went through but my heart breaks for them. It also puts things in perspective. I should never complain of the long nights anymore. 

Obviously this was such a tough thing for Amanda and her family to deal with. Thankfully there is a group in Madison called Mikayla's Grace. Mikayla's Grace is a charity that helps support families who lose their babies prematurely. They provide care packages and support for these families. If you want to learn more about this great charity, please go to their website. 
http://www.mikaylasgrace.com/
Also, today for my act of kindness, I made a donation in honor of Amanda's baby. 





2 comments:

  1. I've been following your post because i'm am doing the same thing. You have some really good ideas hope you don't mind if I borrow some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John! Borrow away. I am starting to struggle to come up with ideas since I don't want to duplicate any this year so I will be borrowing from people throughout the year as well.

    ReplyDelete