Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Day 72: The Joshua Chamberlain Society




I am in outside sales so I meet a lot of new people each week. It is one of the things I enjoy the most about what I do. Something that I really believe in as a sales person is the idea that people buy from people they like. Because of that, when I walk into an office the first thing I do is look around for pictures, sports memorabilia, diplomas, etc.  Basically anything that will give me common ground with the person sitting across from me. A lot of times this will lead me into conversations I never thought I would have.

About a month ago I walked in an office and couldn't find anything to really go off of,  however there was a picture of her family so that's what we started talking about. I'm not entirely sure how we got there, but she told me that she tells her kids that they should try and do one nice thing a day for someone they don't know.  This obviously struck a chord with me so I told her about my New Year's resolution, and there was the common ground I was looking for.  After talking for awhile she told me about a great charity in the St. Louis area called 'The Joshua Chamberlain Society.' This is a grass roots non-profit from the St. Louis area that provides long term support to veterans and also children of veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice. The unique thing about this charity is that it supports the veterans or children for the long term. 5,10,20 years after the servicemen or woman has suffered permanent injuries 'The Joshua Society' will be there for them.  To date they have "adopted" five local heroes and plan to help them for the rest of their life, or in one case, the rest of their child's life.

I thought this was such an amazing charity.  So today, for my act of kindness, I donated to 'The Joshua Chamberlain Society.'  If you would like to read more about this charity here is their website: http://www.chamberlainsociety.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment